Citizens Corps - How You Can Help / What You Can Do
How You Can Help
- Personal responsibility
- Developing a household preparedness plan and disaster supplies kits, observing home health and safety practices, implementing disaster mitigation measures, and participating in crime prevention and reporting.
- Taking classes in emergency preparedness, response capabilities, first aid, CPR, fire suppression, and search and rescue procedures.
- Volunteer service
- Engaging individuals in volunteer activities that support first responders, disaster relief groups, and community safety organizations. Everyone can do something to support local law enforcement, fire, emergency medical services, community public health efforts, and the four stages of emergency management: prevention, mitigation, response and recovery efforts.
What You Can Do
- Be personally prepared
- Learn about your school/ workplace/ community emergency response plans
- Help form Citizen Corps Councils and start the program in your community
- Partner with volunteer organizations, first responder and emergegency managment leadership, elected leadership, private sector and educational groups
- Help your neighbors and communities with public education, risk assessment, training, and volunteer participation
- Mentor others