Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Background Web Image

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - By Department

This is a collection of each department's common questions. You may also view these sorted by the questions asked. If you do not see your question listed, we will be adding more to the list!

  • Elections
  • Mapping
    • Where do I obtain a 911 address?

      A 911 address can be obtained through the Mapping Department. An application for a new address must be completed for new construction.  The application can be found here.​

    • Where can I get a map?

      ​The Mapping Department has maps available for purchase and can create custom maps upon request. For rates and pricing see our Products Request Form

    • Where can I get a document cerified for UPI?

      The Huntingdon County Mapping Department. More information about UIP Certification can be found here.

    • What GIS data is available?

      ​The Mapping Department maintains many GIS layers. A list of the available layers can be found here.  To purchase GIS Data you must complete the License Agreement and Products Request Form

  • Planning & Development
    • Where do I find a County Plan Review Application?

      The Huntingdon County Planning Commission Subdivision and Land Development Application is available under Related Links on the Plan Review page:​

    • When are the County Planning Commission Meetings?

      The Huntingdon County Planning Commission meets on the third Thursday of the month at 6 p.m. in the Annex 1 meeting room, located at 205 Penn Street, Huntingdon, PA  16652.  All meetings are advertised in the Huntingdon Daily News.  You can also find the exact schedule here:

      Meetings of the County Planning Commission are public meetings and visitors are welcome.  Planning Commission meeting agendas allow for a public comment period at every meeting.  If there is a lengthy issue that members of the public would like to address, please contact the Planning Department ahead of time to request time on the agenda.  Department staff can be reached via phone at (814) 643-5091 or via email at​.

    • How do I get my plan reviewed?

      Huntingdon County does not have an adopted countwide subdivision and land development ordinance (SALDO), therefore the County reviews the plans based upon the locally adopted municipal ordinance.  While all municipal plan submission procedures are different, it is recommended that the applicant contact the municipality in which the property is located.  Typically, one copy of the plan will be provided to the county planning commission with a completed county subdivision and land development (SALD) application - including the municipal signature and land owner signature, plan review fee, and any other required information that may include a post-construction stormwater plan (PCSM) and/or an Erosion and Sedimentation (E&S) Control Plan.  Plans will be reviewed within 30 days of a complete submission and the review letter will be forwarded to the applicant, plan preparer, and municipality.  You can review the entire County Subdivision/Land Developent Plan Review Policy here:

  • Recycling
    • Where is the nearest drop-off location to my home?

      ​Call your local coordinator for further information or for a map of county drop-off locations click here.

    • When did Pennsylvania meet it's 25% recycling goal?

      ​​Pennsylvania recycled 2.4 million tons of materials in 1996, or 25.9% of the waste generated. 

    • What can we recycle at the Huntingdon County Drop-Off locations?
      Aluminum cans, steel/tin cans, bimetal cans, dry newspapers, dry telephone books, dry magazines and catalogs.
    • My sister told me that I should be a green shopper this holiday season. I didn't know what she meant. Can you help me?

      ​Yes, we can.  A green shopper shops with the Earth in mind.  That means buying products with recycled content, less packaging or very little waste.  A green shopper would probably buy rechargeable batteries for new toys, instead of the single-use kind.  Or they might give gift certificates for time and talent or tickets to an event.  These gifts create very little waste, and keep on giving after the holidays.

    • I've found some clothes I can't wear and things I don't use anymore. Where can I take them?

      ​There are many stores in our area that will accept used items like toys and clothes.  Check in the yellow pages under Clothing-Bought & Sold, Vintage Clothing Stores, or under other specific product headings. Also, look up Goodwill in the white pages.

    • How should we prepare our newspaper for recycling?

      ​Tie stacks of newspapers with string or place in brown paper bags.

    • How much Pennsylvania trash is being recycled?

      ​Pennsylvanians recycle 3.9 tons of material or 32.7% of Pennsylvania's trash was recycled.

    • How much Huntingdon County trash is recycled?

      ​In 2006 Huntingdon County recycled 10,957 tons of recyclables, 27.6% of the waste generated.

    • Every holiday season we seem to get about 10 catalogs a day. Can we stop getting so many?

      ​Yes, you can.  Many businesses send you advertising in the mail that you didn't request.  This mail is called unsolicited advertising, but most of us refer to it as junk mail because we throw it away (or recycle it) as soon as we get it.  You can reduce the amount of junk mail you receive by sending a request to have your name removed from mass mailing lists.  Be sure to include the names of all members of your household and your address.

      Send information to the following address:
      Mail Preference Service, Direct Marketing Association, P.O. Box 9008, Farmingdale, New York  11735
      Even if you have done this before, your name has probably been added back to lists, and you will need to do it again.

    • Do we have to remove labels from all jars and cans that are to be recycled?

      ​No, you do not have to remove labels, but make sure all recyclables are clean and no food products are left in containers.

    • Can we recycle tires in Huntingdon County?

      ​When you purchase new tires the dealer may accept your old tires for a small fee.  Or you may dispose of your tires at the landfill for a fee.  Contact a local garbarge hauler for information.

    • Can we recycle paint in Huntingdon County?
      Dry up old latex paint by dumping it onto newspapers or adding clay based kitty litter.  If you have a gallon or more call your local church, Salvation Army, or a local theater group to see if it can be reused.

      Any oil based paint can be disposed of during our household hazardous waste  collection in October.
    • Are there any curbside collection programs in Huntingdon County?

      ​​Huntingdon Borough is a mandated community and they have their own program.
      Click here for Huntingdon Borough Curbside Recycling information.

      Several other communities participate in a Voluntary Curbside Recycling Program.
      Click here for Voluntary Curbside Recycling Information.

    • Are plastics recycled in Huntingdon County?
      Huntingdon County residents can recycle plastics and glass during one of our special collections.  Huntingdon Borough collects 1 & 2 clear plastic bottles at their curbside program. Contact your local Recycling Coordinator for further information.
  • Sheriff
    • May I mail my completed application to the Sheriff’s Office?

      ​NO.  Applications MUST be hand delivered to our office.

    • Is there a fee when I apply for a License to Carry Firearms?

      ​Yes.  The total cost of the permit is $25.00.  A payment of $10.00 must accompany the application upon returning it.  The balance of $15.00 is to be paid upon receiving your permit.  If your application is rejected, the $10.00 fee will not be returned. 

    • How old do I need to be to apply for a License to Carry Firearm?

      ​Applicants must be at least 21 years of age and reside in Huntingdon County. 

    • How long will it take to process my application? Will you mail the license to me upon approval?

      It will take about two weeks to process your application.  You must return to our office to have your photo taken, therefore your permit cannot be mailed to you. ​

    • How long is a License to Carry Firearms valid?

      5 years​

Copyright © 2015 Huntingdon County. Site hosted and Developed by CCAP